Senior IAS officer Karan Avtar Singh was on 16 March 2017 appointed as the Chief Secretary of Punjab. His appointment came after the swearing-in ceremony of Captain Amarinder Singh as Punjab Chief Minister.
Avtar Singh succeeded Sarvesh Kaushal who was posted as Special Chief Secretary-cum-Director General of the Mahatma Gandhi State Institute of Public Administration.
Singh was also given the charge of the Principal Secretary of Department of Personnel, General Administration and Vigilance and Investment Promotion.
• Apart from Karan Avtar, 11 other senior IAS officers of the state were also given the new posting.
• Senior IAS officer Himmat Singh was appointed as the Special Chief Secretary, Horticulture and in addition was given the charge of Special Principal Secretary, Forests and Wild life.
• Karanbir Singh Sidhu was posted as Special Chief Secretary, Revenue and Rehabilitation.
• Nirmaljeet Singh Kalsi was posted as Additional Chief Secretary, Home Affairs and Justice.
• IAS officer Satish Chandra was posted as Additional Chief Secretary Finance.
• S K Sandhu, who was the Principal Secretary to former Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, was posted as the Additional Chief Secretary, Social Security and Development of Women and Children.
Who: Karan Avtar Singh
When: 16 March 2017