Kidambi Srikanth on 25 June 2017 won the 2017 Australian Open Men’s Singles title.
Srikanth defeated Olympic champion Chen Long 22-20, 21-16 to clinch the Sydney crown.
On the other hand, Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara won the Women’s Singles title.
About Kidambi Srikanth
• Born on 7 February 1993, Srikanth Kidambi is an Indian badminton player.
• As of 18 June 2017, his world ranking is 22.
• He shot to prominence by defeating Olympic Champion Lin Dan in 2014 China Open Super Series Premier by 21–19 21–17 in the final round. He was the first Indian to win a Super Series Premier Men's title.
• In April 2017, Srikanth and Sai Praneeth created history when they became the first ever Indian pair to enter the finals of a ranking event in Badminton. It was Sai Praneeth who prevailed 17-21, 21-17, 21-12 eventually to clinch the Singapore Super Series title.
• In June 2017, Srikanth clinched the Indonesia Open Men's Singles trophy with a straight-game victory over Japanese qualifier Kazumasa Sakai in the final.
About Australian Open
• The Australian Open is an international badminton open held in Australia.
• In 2011, it was upgraded to a Grand Prix Gold level event.
• In 2014, Australian Open Grand Prix Gold is promoted to a Super Series level event.
• In 2016, Denmark’s Hans-Kristian Vittinghus won the Men’s Singles title.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.