Lakshadweep on 27 May 2016 signed 24x7 Power for All document. It became the first Union Territory (UT) to sign the document which aims to provide each household access to electricity through 24x7 Power supply by 2019.
Key Features of the Document
• It chalks out a plan to increase solar capacity of the region from 2.15 MW to 8.45 MW.
• The plan also envisions reduction of AT & C losses from current level of 21 percent to 6.7 percent till 2019 by increasing the collection efficiency up to 99 percent.
• As a part of energy efficiency measures, 1 lakh LED bulbs will be distributed by UT administration through Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) and Incandescent lamps/CFL bulbs will be replaced with LED bulbs under UJALA programme.
• In addition to that 3000 conventional street lights will be replaced with LED street lights.
• Union Government is committed to improve the quality of life of its citizens through higher electricity consumption.
24x7 Power for All
• It is a major step in the direction to provide each household access to electricity, 24x7 Power supply by 2019.
• It is a joint initiative of union Government with respective State Governments for preparation of State specific documents for providing 24x7 power supply to all households /homes, industrial & commercial consumers and adequate supply of power to Agricultural consumers as per state policy.
• As on 27 May 2016, 22 States have already signed the ‘24x7 Power For All’ Documents.
• Implementation of the plan envisaged in the document is under progress, which is being jointly monitored by the State and the Union Governments.
• Successful implementation of these plans will ensure reliable and affordable power round the clock to all the consumers.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App