Leaders’ Summit on Peacekeeping was held on 28 September 2015 at the UN headquarters in New York, the USA. It was held on the margins of the annual high-level debate of the General Assembly.
Besides the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, it was attended by leaders of more than 50 countries including Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the president of USA Barack Obama.
The high-level summit reviewed the ongoing operations of 125000 strong UN Peacekeeping force and announced commitments to modernize the force.
The leaders further called for stringent punishments to those personnel who are indulging in sexual offences during their assignment period.
About United Nations Peacekeeping
• It helps countries torn by conflict create the conditions for lasting peace.
• It was founded in 1948 and operates under the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations.
• It is comprised of 125000 civilian, police and military personnel with contributions coming from over 120 countries.
• It has an average annual budget to the tune of 8.2 billion US dollars.
• At present, it is involved in 12 peacekeeping missions across four continents.
• Its largest unit is in Democratic Republic of the Congo with an authorized strength of 26211 personnel.
• By August 2015, India was the largest contributor to the mission with 7794 military and police personnel on the ground next only to Bangladesh (9432) and Ethiopia (8309).
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 28 September 2015