The newly-built Ekana International Stadium of Lucknow was on November 5, 2018 renamed after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The stadium will now be known as 'Bharat Ratna Atal Bihari Vajpayee International Cricket Stadium'.
The stadium was renamed just ahead of the first-ever international cricket match - the T20 International between India and West Indies. The city hosted its first international match at the stadium on November 6, 2018 when India played against West Indies in the second T20 International match.
The officials of the Lucknow Development Authority (LDA) had informed earlier that the clause 17.5.1 of the agreement between Ekana Sports City Private Ltd; GC Constructions; Development Industries Pvt Ltd; and the LDA says that the stadium will be named once the project is completed.
Hence, the Uttar Pradesh government used the powers vested in it as per this clause and changed its name in the memory of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who passed away in August 2018.
Similar initiatives undertaken by various states to pay tribute to Atal Bihari Vajpayee
• Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh announced to rename the upcoming capital Naya Raipur as Atal Nagar.
• Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government also decided to name the proposed Bundelkhand Expressway as ‘Atal Path’.
• AIIMS Rishikesh auditorium, a ghat on Sabarmati River in Gujarat and the cyber tower in Mauritius will also be named after him.
• Even, North Delhi Municipal Corporation is consolidating a list of institutions including parks, schools, and hospitals to be named after Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
• Andhra Pradesh wants to name AIIMS Mangalagiri after Vajpayee; and Himachal Pradesh wants to rename the Rohtang Tunnel after him.
• Several states including Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Assam, and Madhya Pradesh have urged the Central Government to rename landmarks after Vajpayee.
• Shivraj Singh Chouhan has sought Central Government’s permission to change the name of Habibganj railway station in Madhya Pradesh after him.
• The state government of Madhya Pradesh has also decided to build two memorials in Gwalior and Bhopal and include a biography on Vajpayee in the school curriculum from next year to preserve the memory of the late leader.
• The Himachal Pradesh cabinet also approved the proposal to install a statue of Atal Bihari Vajpayee at Shimla’s historic Ridge.
• Assam BJP legislator from Dibrugarh constituency Prasanta Phukan has appealed to the Centre to name the yet-to-be-inaugurated Bogibeel bridge after former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.