MC Mary Kom, the Olympic bronze-medal winning boxer from India, will receive the 'Legends Award' on 20 December 2016. She will receive the award from the International Boxing Association (AIBA) on its 70th anniversary.
At present, the Olympian and a five-time world champion is a Rajya Sabha MP. President Pranab Mukherjee nominated her as a member of the Upper House of the Indian Parliament in April 2016.
Mary Kom is also a multiple-time Asian champion and was named an AIBA brand ambassador during the 2016 AIBA Women's World Boxing Championships.
Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom
• Nicknamed "Magnificent Mary", Kom belongs to Kom-Kuki tribe of Manipur, India.
• She is the only woman boxer to have won a medal in almost each one of the six world championships.
• She is a five-time World Amateur Boxing champion.
• She is the only woman boxer from India who qualified for the 2012 Olympics for competing in the flyweight 51kilogram category, where she won the bronze medal.
• She is also the first woman boxer from India to get a Gold medal in the Asian Games in 2014. The 2014 Asian Games were held in Incheon, South Korea.
• Awards conferred on Mary Kom includes
a) Padma Bhushan
b) Arjuna Award (Boxing
c) Padma Shree (Sports)
d) Contender for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
e) People of the Year- Limca Book of Records
f) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award
• Book: Unbreakable is her biography.
• Film: Mary Kom is a biographical film about her life. Priyanka Chopra has played the lead role in the film.