Shakuntala Devi, the Indian Mathematician also known as mental calculator and human computer died on 21 April 2013.She was of 80 years.
Among her distinctions was her ability to mentally ascertain the day, when given a date in the last century. She was in the hospital from 3 April 2013 over a period of two weeks, due to respiratory problems and later she developed kidney and heart complications. She died due to heart failure and renal problem.
About Shakuntala Devi
• Her name was recorded in Guinness Book of World Records for her ability of making calculations at lightning-speed. One of her major distinction was that when given a date in the last century, she could have mentally ascertained the day for it.
• In the year 1977, she calculated the 23rd root of digit number 201 in just 50 seconds
• In 1980, she successfully multiplied the two 13-digit numbers (7,686,369,774,870 x 2,465,099,745,779) given to her by the computer department of Imperial College London. She was successful in making this calculation within 28 seconds
• Some of her books were Puzzles to Puzzle You, Mathablit, Astrology for You, Fun with Numbers and Awaken the Genius in Your Child.
• Her father was a circus performer, who did trapeze, tightrope and cannonball shows