Legendary Indian boxer MC Mary Kom on 1 October 2014 bagged her first ever Asian Games Gold Medal. She defeated Zhaina Shekerbekova of Kazakhstan in the finals of the women’s flyweight category (48-51kg) at the 17th Asian Games in Incheon.
She became the first Indian woman boxer to clinch a gold medal at the Asian Games. This is the seventh gold for India at Incheon games.
Mangte Chungneijang (MC) Mary Kom
• MC Mary Kom is the five-time world champion and the Olympic bronze-medallist.
• Nicknamed as Magnificent Mary, she is the only Indian woman boxer to have qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics, competing in the flyweight (51 kg) category and winning the bronze medal.
• She has been ranked at fourth position in the AIBA World Women's Ranking Flyweight category.
• She co-wrote an auto-biography called Unbreakable published in 2013 and was portrayed by actress Priyanka Chopra in the film Mary Kom (2014).
• Mary won the country's highest sporting award the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2009 followed by the third highest civilian award the Padma Bhushan in 2013.
When: 1 October 2014