Ministry of Statistics, NCAER sign MoU for improving official statistical system of India
Under the MoU, both sides will conduct Business Process Review (BPR) of the existing official statistics system and develop an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) plan for mainstreaming data integration.
The Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) on January 29, 2019 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) for improving official statistical system of India.
Under the MoU, both the sides will use new data technologies, knowledge generation and knowledge sharing and capacity building in the field of Official Statistics.
The MoU would strengthen and monitor the data quality and timeliness of various statistical products and services generated by the Ministry including:
Activities envisaged under the MoU
• Business Process Review (BPR) of the existing official statistics system and development of an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) plan for mainstreaming data integration
• Development of new ICT based framework for measurement of social and economic indicators in the emerging knowledge based economy
• Using technology for survey instruments and processing of data for large scale surveys and data analytics
• Creation of a national data warehouse to integrate administrative statistical datasets available up to the local government level
• Leveraging administrative data to improve the quality and coverage of core statistics with technical support and collaboration with data producers
• Setting up common standards and protocols for data collection, its quality, meta-data and use across line ministries and sub-national entities
• Capacity building for statistical activities including big data analytics, technical reporting, etc.