Mission Abaas launched in Odisha to provide affordable houses to urban poor
The scheme aims at fulfilling the promise of protection and welfare of slum dwellers by providing affordable housing along with basic amenities.
The Odisha Government on 11 October 2015 launched Mission Abaas, state’s urban housing mission, to provide affordable houses to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), Low Income Groups (LIG) and slum dwellers.
The scheme aims at fulfilling the promise of protection and welfare of slum dwellers by providing affordable housing along with basic amenities such as piped water supply, electricity, concrete roads, drainage and community centre.
As notified in August 2015, Abaas will be the nodal agency to execute the Policy for Housing for All in Urban areas.
Components of the mission
• Slum redevelopment
• Affordable housing through interest subvention
• Rental housing for migrants
• Housing for urban destitute and homeless
Key points of the mission
• 10000 houses for EWS and Low Income Groups will be constructed in Bhubaneswar.
• Free land will be provided by the government for affordable housing projects in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode to developers.
• Land on the city outskirts will be renewed into urban land by developing and expanding infrastructure.
• Pre-cast and pre-fabrication technology will be used under the mission.
• Mission Directorate will be set by the government for implementation of the policy.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App