Mozilla, the software community which is known for producing the Firefox web browser, launched Web-based Smartphone operating system on 24 February 2013.
The company at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain announced that it partnered with device manufacturers and mobile operators across the world to launch Firefox Smartphone in 2013.
With the launch of operating system Mozilla also officially launched the Firefox Marketplace, which is basically an app store featuring mobile Web applications and websites that will be able to operate on the new smartphones.
Both the Firefox OS and Marketplace are optimized towards HTML5 development and open Web standards using Mozilla’s Firefox browser as its backbone.
Some of the Highlights of the launched Operating system
• Mozilla claimed three initial manufacturers ready to build and deploy Firefox OS smartphones: LG, Alcatel and ZTE.
• These devices will be distributed to 17 global carriers in nine countries, including Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Serbia, Montenegro, Poland, Spain, Hungary and Venezuela targeting only the developing market.
• Sony had also expresses the desire that it would build and release Firefox OS smartphones in 2014.
• Among the companies that have announced their support for Mozilla's Firefox Marketplace are AccuWeather, Airbnb, Box, Cut the Rope, Disney Mobile Games, EA, Facebook, Nokia's mapping service HERE, MTV Brasil, Pulse News, SoundCloud, SporTV, Terra, Time Out and Twitter.
• Disney, for example, is planning to offer its popular, Where's My Water? game on the marketplace.