Politician Mulayam Singh Yadav passes away at 82
Veteran Politician and the founder of the Samajwadi Party Mulayam Singh Yadav passed away on October 10, 2022, at the age of 82. Mulayam Singh Yadav had emerged as the socialist leader and had established himself as an OBC stalwart.
Mulayam Singh Yadav, a veteran politician and the founder of the Samajwadi Party passed away on October 10, 2022, at the age of 82. He died after spending several days in the ICU of Medanta Hospital in Gurugram, where his condition was critical. The news of the leader’s demise was confirmed by his son and the Chief of the Samajwadi Party Akhilesh Yadav via Twitter.
Mulayam Singh Yadav had emerged as the socialist leader and had established himself as an OBC stalwart. In 1989, Yadav took oath as the 15th Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, which also marked a year when the Congress was voted out from one of the largest states of the country.
Samajwadi Party supremo and former Uttar Pradesh CM Mulayam Singh Yadav passes away at the age of 82, confirms Akhilesh Yadav.— ANI (@ANI) October 10, 2022
He was under treatment at Gurugram's Medanta hospital since last week. pic.twitter.com/qDYIuT5DcH
Mulayam Singh Yadav: Early Political Career
Mulayam Singh is also the founder of the Samajwadi party and one of the greatest politicians India has ever witnessed. Mulayam Singh Yadav was facing breathing issues for the last several days and was also suffering from urinary infection. His health took a worse turn on October 2, 2022, when he was admitted to the Medanta Hospital in Gurugram on ICU. Singh was kept under supervision of medicine experts at the hospital. However, On October 9, 2022 the doctors reported that the condition of Mulayam Singh Yadav is critical and he was on life support.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav was elected as the Member of Legislative Assembly in 1967 in Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh. He served there for eight terms.
- Yadav was also arrested for 19 months during Indira Gandhi’s imposition of emergency.
- Later, he became the state minister in 1977.
- In 1980, Mulayam Singh Yadav became the president of Janata Dal which later became a part of the Janata Dal.
- From 1982 to 1985, he was the president of opposition in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council.
Mulayam Singh Yadav as the Chief Minister of UP
- Yadav first became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in 1989.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav joined Janata Dal after the collapse of the V.P Singh national government in November 1990.
- He continued as the Chief Minister with the support of the Indian National Congress. However, his government fell with the withdrawal of INC support in 1991 and mid-term elections were held in UP, in which Yadav’s party lost to the BJP.
- Yadav founded his own Samajwadi Party in 1992 and made an alliance with the Bahujan Samaj Party to participate in the Uttar Pradesh elections in 1993.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav became the chief minister of UP with the support of Congress and Janata Dal.
- Yadav continued his post until his ally opted into another alliance in June 1995. However, in September 2003, he took oath as Uttar Pradesh’s chief minister for the third time with the support of small parties and independents.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav contested the 2004 Lok Sabha elections from Mainpuri. His party won more seats in Uttar Pradesh than all other parties. However, Yadav could not play any major role at the centre because Congress had a majority in the Lok Sabha with the support of the Communist parties.
- Yadav continued as the chief minister of UP till 2007elections, and resigned from the Lok Sabha.
Mulayam Singh Yadav as the Cabinet Minister
Yadav was elected to the Lok Sabha from Mainpuri in 1996. In the United Front coalition government, his party joined and Yadav was named India’s Defence Minister. In 1998 the government fell, but Yadav returned to the Lok Sabha from Sambhal parliamentary constituency. He also contested Lok Sabha elections of 1999 from Sambhal and Kannauj and won from both.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS