Congress legislator and deputy speaker N Shakthan on 12 March 2015 was elected as the speaker of the Kerala Assembly. Shakthan defeated CPI (M) candidate P Aysha Potty by 74 to 66 votes.
He succeeded G Karthikeyan who died on 7 March 2015 in Bangalore, Karnataka following a prolonged illness.
Before contesting for the post of speaker, Shaktan resigned from the post of Deputy Speaker of the Assembly on 10 March 2015.
Shakthan’s election as the speaker was announced by the Pro-term speaker Dominic Presentation of Congress.
About N Shakthan
• He is an incumbent Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) from Kattakada constituency in Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala
• He started his political career through trade union in Kerala
• For the first time, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of the state in 1982 from Kovalam constituency
• He was re-elected to the state assembly as a representative of Congress in 2001 and 2006 from Nemom constituency
• At present, he is an MLA from Kattakada constituency of Thiruvananthapuram. He was elected from this constituency in 2011
• Between 2004 and 06, he had served as a Minister for Transport in state cabinet in Oommen Chandy government
• Born at Kanjiramkulam on 5 May 1951, Shakthan belongs to Nadar community, a powerful segment in Southern Kerala
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.