25 January: National Voters' Day
The 8th National Voters' day was observed across India on January 25, 2018 with an aim to increase enrolment of voters, especially of the newly eligible ones. This was the eighth edition of the Day.
The day also aims to spread awareness among voters regarding effective participation in the electoral process.
“Take the Pledge”
To mark the day this year, Election Commission and Facebook announced rolling out a new feature “Take the Pledge” on the Facebook that will send a reminder to users aged 18 years and above to take the pledge to vote.
By clicking on “Take the Pledge” button, users will be directed to the EC’s Facebook post which will have the National Voters’ Day pledge.
About National Voters’ Day
• The National Voters’ Day is observed every year on 25 January.
• It is observed annually to mark the anniversary of Election Commission of India, which came into being on January 25, 1950.
About Election Commission of India
• The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in the country.
• It administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, state legislatures, and the offices of the President and Vice President in India.
• It operates under the authority of Article 324 of the Constitution of India.