Navtej Sarna, India’s High Commissioner to UK, on 22 September 2016 was appointed the Indian Ambassador to the US.
Sarna succeeds Arun Singh, who is due for retirement.
Sarna was serving as a Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs before he was posted in London in January 2016.
On the other hand, Government of Indian has also appointed 1988-batch IFS officer Taranjit Singh Sandhu as the next High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka. He will replace Yash Sinha.
About Navtej Sarna
• Navtej Sarna is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1980 batch.
• He was born in Jalandhar to Mohinder Singh Sarna, a noted Punjabi writer.
• He completed his schooling from St. Joseph's Academy, Dehradun.
• Later, he graduated as a part of the 1980 Class of Indian Foreign Service.
• He holds the distinction of being the longest-serving spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs.
• He also writes short stories, and book reviews. His first novel published was We Weren't Lovers Like That in 2003, followed by The Book of Nanak in the same year, his latest, The Exile, published in 2008, is based on the life of Duleep Singh, the last Maharaja of Lahore, and son Raja Ranjit Singh.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Open Defecation in India: All north-eastern states to become ODF by December 2018
Union Agriculture Ministry launches NCDC’s 'Yuva Sahakar Scheme' to promote young entrepreneurs
ISRO successfully launches communication satellite GSAT-29
India, Morocco sign agreement for assistance in legal and commercial matters