The North Eastern Council (NEC) on 29 January 2017 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) of the Union Ministry of Textile in Shillong to harness the hidden potential of Cane and Bamboo of North Eastern Region (NER).
The MoU was signed by Ram Muivah, Secretary of NEC and Development Commissioner(Handicrafts) Alok Kumar.
Highlights of the MoU
• It will provide a push for the integrated and inclusive development of Cane & Bamboo Sector of NRE through skilled manpower, marketing support, technology dissemination and institutional support.
• This will altogether mobilise the masses and promote Bamboo sector as a whole throughout the country.
• The NEC and the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) will promote Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre (CBTC) of Assam and the Bamboo & Cane Development Institute (BCDI) of Tripura as the Centres of Excellence in South East Asia.
• CBTC will be transformed into a Regional Centre of Excellence and the BCDI will be converted as a separate entity under the name Indian Institute of Bamboo Technology (IIBT).
• CBTC and BCDI will also collaborate for Institutional support for bamboo sector and will generate awareness among the masses about possibilities of sustainable utilisation of the raw materials.
• CBTC and BCDI will serve as a platform for generating and exchanging the knowledge base on the product development in Cane and Bamboo through the Discipline of Product Design and Innovation.
• The collective knowledge base of the sector will be made available through library resources, multimedia, publications and online resources.
• The Discipline of Bamboo and Cane product Innovation will also be helpful in defining the criteria for Industry standards and certification in terms of Quality.
• Moreover, in order to establish the presence of bamboo and cane as economically strong industry, education will also be imparted to Craftsmen, Designers, Farmers and Management professionals.
When: 29 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.