Ninth edition of JIFF begins tomorrow
Inaugurated by prominent members of the South Indian film fraternity like Hariharan and Singeetam Srinivasa Rao, the festival will host the screening of around 134 films.
The ninth edition of Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF) is scheduled to begin on 7 January 2017. It is considered to be one of the world’s fastest growing festivals.
The five-day event will be inaugurated by prominent South Indian celebrities such as singer Hariharan, multi-skilled veteran director Singeetam Srinivasa Rao and actress Rachana, who will also be the event’s Guests of Honour.
• The festival will witness participation from about 250 filmmakers and artists.
• It aims to promote new and emerging directors and also encourage the exchange of dialogue, knowledge, ideas, information and culture between India and other participating nations.
• It will host the screening of around 134 films, belonging to countries from across the world.
• Along with two screens in Golcha, the films will be screened at the Rajasthan Adult Education Association (RAEA) and the Manipal University Jaipur.
• A special screening will also be conducted for children at the same venue during the morning hours.
• The festival will also host 17 workshops and seminars on different aspects of cinema, in order to encourage interaction of filmmakers with the audience and in turn help build a greater understanding of filmmaking.
• The event will also see ‘co-production meets’ where leading directors and producers from across the globe will come together and discuss their next ventures and explore the possibility of co-production and sharing costs.
Internationally acclaimed film producer, Ramesh Prasad has been chosen for the Life Time Achievement Award. He is the founder of Prasad Film Laboratory, which has specialised facilities and advanced equipment. Prasad was selected for the award by a committee headed by National-award winning Indian filmmaker Shaji N Karun.
The event will conclude on 11 January 2017.