NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant on 2 February 2017 launched the India Innovation Index in New Delhi. It is India’s first online innovation index portal. It will capture data on innovation from all Indian states and regularly update it in real time.
Features of India Innovation Index
• The primary objective of the India Innovation Index is to rank Indian states as per their innovation prowess and provide impetus to them to build their respective innovation ecosystems.
• It is a joint initiative of the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog), Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
• Multilateral agencies such as the World Economic Forum, the World Intellectual Property Organization, Cornell University, OECD, UNIDO, ILO, UNESCO and ITU will help the NITI Aayog in developing the index.
• The India Innovation Index Framework is based on the best practices followed during the preparing of Global Innovation Index (GII).
• India-centric parameters will be added to the framework so that it will reflect the Indian innovation ecosystem.
• This initiative will be the point of reference for all international agencies to collect India’s up to date data points for global indices and analytic.
• This will be a one-stop data warehouse and will track progress on each indicator at the National level and the State level on real-time basis.
• The access to this portal will be hosted on the NITI Aayog website and NITI Aayog will update this data periodically.
About Global Innovation Index (GII)
• The Global Innovation Index is co-published by the World-Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University and INSEAD with CII as a knowledge partner.
• Since its inception in 2007, the index has been ranking world economies, including India, according to their innovation capabilities and outcomes.
• The Global Innovation Index uses 82 indicators among a host of other important parameters.
• The Global innovation Index (GII) 2016 placed India at the 66th position among the 128 countries surveyed.
What: Launched by NITI Aayog
When: 2 February 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.