Popular Gujarati writer and noted play writer Tarak Mehta passed away on 1 March 2017 at his Ahmedabad residence. Mehta passed away at 87.
Tarak Mehta suffered from age related illness for a long time.
About Tarak Mehta
• Tarak Mehta was an Indian columnist, humorist, writer and playwright.
• He was best known for his column “Duniya Ne Undha Chasma” in Mumbai-based Gujarati news weekly “Chitralekha”. His weekly column first featured in Chitralekha news weekly in March 1971.
• He wrote around 80 books on various pressing issues.
• Three books are based on the columns he wrote in Gujarati newspaper Divya Bhaskar. The remaining books were compiled from the stories in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah.
• The popular comic television serial ‘Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah' is a television adaptation of Taarak Mehta's column 'Duniya Ne Undha Chasma'.
• He had translated and adapted several comedies into Gujarati. Tarak Mehta had also served in Films Division-Mumbai as a script writer.
• Gujarat Sahitya Akademi awarded him Sahitya Gaurav Puraskar in 2011 and Ramanlal Nilkanth Hasya Paritoshik in 2017.
• For his contribution to the literature, he was honoured with the prestigious Padma Shri award in 2015. Padma Shri is the fourth highest civilian honour of the Union Government.