The Indian classical singer and music director, Pandit Raghunath Panigrahi passed away on 25 August 2013 in Bhubaneswar. He was 80 years of age. He is known as the vocalist of Jayadeva’s Gita Govind. He died because of cardiac arrest. He is survived by two sons.
Life Sketch of Pandit Raghunath Panigrahi
• Pandit Raghunath Panigrahi was born on 10 August 1934 at Gunupur in Odisha’s Rayaga (earlier Koraput) district.
• He is known for his way of classical singing of Gita Govinda that describes unique relationship between Lord Krishna and the Gopis.
• He had left his mark on the Odissi light classicals such as Na Jaa Radhika and contemporary songs such as Nali Nali Ei, Krushnachuda or Nupoor Bajaai Kie.
• He was the first Odiya singer to be honoured by the French government for compositions of Gita Govinda.
• He was also conferred with the Padmashri award in the year 2010.
• He established the Sanjukta Panigrahi Memorial Trust, with the purpose of spotting and encouraging Odissi singer as well as dancers. Since the year 2001, this Trust has been giving the scholarships to budding dancers. Also, the Trust gives excellence awards in Orissi dance forms to people.
• Other awards won by him include Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship as well as Jayadeva Samman in the year 2008.
• Vanikavi Dr. Manomohan Acharya wrote a Sanskrit Verse on Padmashri Pandit Raghunath Panigrahi.