The Election Commission on 22 March 2017 issued an interim order freezing AIADMK party’s symbol of ‘two leaves’, blocking both the camps in Tamil Nadu from using the symbol as well as the party name in the upcoming RK Nagar assembly by-polls in April.
The interim order was issued as there was little time available to issue a final one. After a day-long hearing, the Commission said that since there is little time available for it to issue a final order, it is issuing an interim one.
• The commission had given both VK Sasikala faction and O Panneerselvam faction time till 10 am on the morning of 23 March to choose new symbols to contest the by-polls.
• The order was given after a day-long hearing in New Delhi. The EC panel said that it needed more time to read the documents submitted by both the blocks.
• The decision will be effective only until the end of the by-election.
• The last date to file nominations of the April by-polls is 23 March.
• The RK Nagar assembly by-poll, which is going to be held on 12 April, is crucial for both camps as it was the constituency held by the late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
The tug-of-war for the AIADMK party symbol started last week with the Panneerselvam faction submitting a petition to the EC requesting it to allot the party symbol to it and to counter the same the Sasikala group submitted a memorandum to the panel requesting it to not entertain any claims from the Panneerselvam group to the party symbol.
New party symbol and name
• The Election Commission has allotted the symbol of ‘electricity pole’ to the Panneerselvam faction.
• The Sasikala faction, on the other hand, has been allotted the hat symbol and their party name would be ‘AIADMK Amma’.
• Though initially, the Panneerselvam camp had submitted the name ‘Amma AIADMK’, they were asked to change the name by the EC and the faction finally decided on ‘AIADMK Puratchi Thalaivi Amma’.
While the Sasikala faction has named AIADMK’s newly-appointed deputy general secretary TTV Dinakaran who is also Sasikala’s nephew as its nominee for the by-polls, the Panneerselvam faction has named E Madhusudanan as their nominee.