PM Narendra Modi on September 22, 2018 inaugurated the airport at Jharsuguda, the powerhouse of Odisha, in the presence of Odisha Governor Ganeshi Lal, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, Union Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu, Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Union Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram.
On the same occasion, Prime Minister also flagged off the UDAN flight on Jharsuguda-Raipur sector.
• Jharsuguda is the second airport of Odisha after Bhubaneswar to become operational.
• It is the first airport to provide necessary connectivity to Bhubaneswar, Raipur and Ranchi under the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) UDAN.
• Jharsuguda Airport has been developed by the Airports Authority of India in collaboration with Odisha Government at an estimated cost of Rs 210 Crores with a contribution of Rs 75 Crores from the State.
• Spread across over 1027.5 acres of land, the terminal Building of the airport is 4000 sqm.
• The Airport has been developed for all weather operations including night operations for A-320 type of aircraft.
• The Terminal Building of Jharsuguda Airport is a RCC composite structure equipped with modern passenger facilities.
• The interiors of the building depict local handicrafts, artwork and tourist destinations of the state highlighting rich ethos and culture of the region.
• The city side is being aesthetically landscaped with lush green areas connecting passengers to the nature.
• With a 2390 metre-long runway, the airport will be able to park A-320 type aircraft.
• The Terminal Building has five check-in counters and one arrival carousel with peak hour handling capacity of 300 passengers.
• Apart from the New Terminal Building, the airport infrastructure also includes Isolation Bay, New Technical Block-cum-Control Tower, Fire Station Category-VII, MT Workshop and essential Navigational & Visual Aids.
• The airport encompasses efficient sewage treatment plant, reuse of treated water for horticulture, rain-water harvesting system, sewage treatment plant, solar power system, chillers and a green belt.
Other airports of Odisha and their revival projects
In Odisha, other than Jharsuguda, three more airports, namely, Jeypore in Koraput District, Rourkela in Sundargarh District and Utkela in Kalahandi District are being developed to provide connectivity to remote and far flung areas of the coastal state.
For revival and upgradation of these four airports, Rs 370 crores has been allocated under the Regional Connectivity Scheme.
UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Naagrik) Scheme
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Who: PM Narendra Modi