Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 21, 2018 dedicated the National Police Memorial to the nation on the occasion of the Police Commemoration Day 2018.
PM Modi also inaugurated the Museum of National Police memorial and signed the visitor’s book. He laid wreath and paid homage to the martyrs at the National Police Memorial.
The National Police Commemoration Day is observed on 21 October every year to pay homage to the 10 men of the Central Reserve Police Force killed in an ambush by Chinese troops in 1959 in Ladakh’s Hot Spring area.
National Police Memorial
• The Memorial was accorded priority by the Union Government and was finished on time. It underlines the vision of the Government to accord maximum respect to people who played a vital role in nation building.
• The National Police Memorial consists of Central Sculpture, a Wall of Valour and a State of Art Museum dedicated to the memory of the martyred police personnel.
• A 30-foot granite pillar, weighing around 238 tonnes, has been installed at Chanakyapuri, Delhi to honour the policemen. The sculpture was conceptualised by Advaita Gadanayak of the National Gallery of Modern Art.
• The ‘Wall of Valour’ is engraved with the names of police personnel, including those killed in the 1965 India-Pak war, the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks of 2008 and the 2001 Parliament attack.
• The Central Sculpture of the National Police Memorial represents capability, courage and service orientation of the police forces.
• Every object associated with the Memorial would inspire the citizens and educate them about the bravery of police and para military personnel.
• The memorial is in recognition of the sacrifice made by nearly 35000 police personnel killed in action since Independence.
PM Modi announces Award in name of Subhas Chandra Bose
On the same occasion, Prime Minister also announced an award in the name of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. The award will honour those involved in disaster response operations.
The award would be announced every year, recognising the bravery and courage displayed in saving lives of people, in the wake of a disaster.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Who: PM Modi