PM Modi inaugurates 175 Km Sewerage Network in Prayagraj; NMCG sanctions funds for Kumbh Mela
The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) sanctioned a financial assistance of Rs. 113 crores for the construction of 27,500 toilets & 20,000 urinals in Uttar Pradesh during Kumbh Mela 2019.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 16, 2018 inaugurated various projects worth Rs 199.65 crore under Namami Gange Programme in Prayagraj, including 175 KM of sewerage network.
The projects will prevent 7.8 crore litres of sewage from flowing untreated into Ganga River every day. Now, this untreated sewage water will be carried every day to existing Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs) at Salori, Kodra & Ponghat for treatment.
The projects were inaugurated in the presence of UP Governor Ram Naik, UP CM Yogi Adityanath, Deputy CM Keshav Prasad Maurya, and Minister of Urban Development Suresh K Khanna.
Foundation stone laid for two projects in the Trans Ganga/Yamuna area
• Prime Minister Modi also laid the foundation stone for two projects in the Trans Ganga/Yamuna area under ‘One City-One Operator Scheme’ with sanctioned cost of Rs 767.59 crore.
• The project is based on Hybrid Annuity based PPP mode that includes Operations and Maintenance of the entire sewerage infrastructure for 15 years.
• These projects include Intersection and diversion (I&D) of sewage network, 7 sewage pumping stations and 3 STPs of total capacity 72 million litres per day (MLD).
• These 3 STPs of 72 MLD capacity will be – Naini (42 MLD), Phaphamau (14 MLD) and Jhusi (16 MLD).
• With these projects, there will be comprehensive sewerage coverage of Prayagraj, including areas on the other side of the Ganga and Yamuna rivers.
The sanctioned projects will also involve rehabilitation and operations and maintenance of existing sewage treatment infrastructure at the cost of Rs 904 crores.
Rehabilitation projects include six existing STPs with a total capacity of 254 MLD located at Naini, Numayadahi, Rajapur, Kodra, Ponghat and Salori and operations and maintenance of 10 existing sewage pumping stations.
Projects already sanctioned under Namami Gange Programme
• Under Namami Gange Programme, 10 projects have been already sanctioned at an estimated cost of Rs 2915.78 crore for creation of 779 Km sewerage network and construction of 8 STPs having total capacity of 191 MLD.
• 4 projects were completed during 2016, leading to the creation of sewage treatment capacity of 119 MLD and laying of 129 km of sewerage network.
• 2 Projects pertaining to Sewerage District A & B in Prayagraj are under advance stage of execution and are expected to be completed by March 2019.
• These projects will lead to creation of 456 Km of sewerage network and would feed to existing STPs at Naini and Numayadahi.
NMCG sanctions funds for Kumbh Mela