Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 12 July 2016 concluded his four-nation visit to Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and Mozambique.
During the five-day tour between 7 July and 11 July 2016, Modi met with President of South Africa Jacob Zuma, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, President of Tanzania John Magufuli and President of Mozambique Filipe Nyusi.
He also held high level meetings on a wide range of bilateral issues and matters of regional and global concern. Modi’s visit to Africa had five key elements and they were
• Maritime Security and Defence cooperation
• Food Security and agriculture
• Diaspora engagement
• Climate Change and Solar energy
• Cooperation to check drug trade and terrorism
Major Highlights of the visit to Kenya
• India-Kenya signed seven agreements
• The two nations held delegation level talks at State House in Nairobi
• Modi received Guard of Honour during Ceremonial Reception at State House in Nairobi
• Modi laid wreath at the Mausoleum of Mzee Jomo Kenyatta, First President of Kenya in Nairobi
• He addressed the Indian Diaspora at Kasarani Stadium in Nairobi
• He addressed students at the University of Nairobi during his visit to Kenya
Major Highlights of the visit to Tanzania
• Modi met members of Indian diaspora in Dar es Salaam
• He also meets Solar Mamas in Dar es Salaam during his visit to Tanzania
• Modi and John Magufuli lead delegation level talks in Dar es Salaam
• Modi inspected the Guard of Honour at the Ceremonial Reception in Dar es Salaam
Major Highlights of the visit to South Africa
• Modi and Jacob Zuma helds delegation level talks in Pretoria
• He met with Gounder and Moonsamy, two surviving members of 1946 Passive Resistance
• He planted a pepper and a bark tree at the Phoenix settlement
• He visited Sarvodaya, Mahatma Gandhi's residence in Phoenix, the farm where Mahatma Gandhi spent formative years of his political carrier
• He inaugurated exhibition at the waiting hall where Mahatma Gandhi spent the night in Pietermaritzburg
• He also visits the spot where Mahatma Gandhi was offloaded at Pietermaritzburg
• He visited Nelson Mandela Foundation in Johannesburg
• He met with the anti-apartheid revolutionaries and their families in Johannesburg
• He visited Constitutional Hill in Johannesburg during his visit to South Africa
• Prime Minister inspected Guard of Honour at Union Buildings in Pretoria during his 3 day visit to South Africa
Major Highlights of the visit to Mozambique
• Three agreements were inked and three announcements were made including gifting 100 ton medicines and medical equipment
• At Maputo, the capital of Mozamvuque, Modi received a ceremonial welcome at the presidential palace.
• Modi and Filipe Nyusi held delegation level talks
• India has handed over 30 SUVs to Mozambique
• He attended the Indian community reception in Maputo.
• India, Mozambique agreed to cooperate to meet strategic, security challenges.
• Under long-term agreement India will buy pulses from this African nation to meet its recurring shortfall and contain prices of this commodity.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 12 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.