The Public Private Partnership Appraisal Committee (PPPAC-a high level committee of the Government of India) on 30 December 2013 appraised five proposals in the Port Sector. These projects will now be recommended for grant of final approval by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA).
For this purpose of approval of the CCEA, a Cabinet Note will be submitted by the Ministry of Shipping. The five projects are
• Development of 4th Container Terminal at Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) on DBFOT- Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer basis
• Development of Container Terminal at Ennore Port Limited (EPL) on DBFOT
• Development of Multipurpose Cargo at Mumbai Port Trust (MPT) on DBFOT
• Development of Mega Container Terminal at Tuna Tekra at Kandla Port (KPT) on BOT
• Development of Container Terminal at Diamond Harbour at Kolkata Port Trust (KoPT) on BOT
These projects are proposed to be awarded in the current financial year by various Major Ports for implementation under Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode. The proposed projects are to create an additional capacity of 150 MMTPA with an investment of about 17630 Crores rupees.
In the year 2013, the Ministry of Shipping has so far conveyed approval for 16 projects against a target of 30 and the major ports have already awarded these projects. Of the 16 projects that has been granted an approval includes six under PPP and 10 projects are under non-PPP mode. It is expected that these projects will add a capacity of 89 MMTPA with an investment of 4200 crore rupees.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.