President Pranab Mukherjee on 27 January 2017 appointed Banwarlal Purohit and P B Acharya as acting Governors of Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh respectively.
At present, Banwarlal Purohit is the Governor of Assam, while Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya is the Governor of Nagaland.
These appointments come in the backdrop of resignation of V Shanmuganathan as Governor of Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh.
V Shanmuganathan resigned from the office on 27 January 2017 following a controversy, in which he was accused of sexual misconduct.
About V Shanmuganathan
• V Shanmuganathan is a veteran Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) activist.
• He was sworn in as the Governor of Meghalaya in May 2015.
• He was given the additional charge of Governor of Arunachal Pradesh in September 2016 after J P Rajkhowa was removed from the position.
• Shanmuganathan also worked as the acting Governor of Manipur between September 2015 and August 2016.
• Born on 21 November 1949, he hails from the Thanjavur district in Tamil Nadu.
About Banwarilal Purohit
• He was appointed as the Governor of Assam by the President Pranab Mukherjee in August 2016. He took charge from Padmanabha Acharya.
• Banwarilal Purohit was a Member of Parliament for three times. He represented the Nagpur Lok Sabha constituency twice as an Indian National Congress member and once as a member of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
About P B Acharya
• He was appointed as the Governor of Nagaland on 14 July 2014 by the President of India under the Article 153 and Article 156 of the Constitution.
• He hails from Udupi district in Karnataka.
• He is credited for planning University of Delhi's Gyanodaya Express to North East of India.
Related Constitutional Provisions
• Article 153: The article provides for Governor for each State. It also authorises the President to appoint the same person as Governor for two or more States.
• The provision for appointment of the same person as the Governor of more than one State was not included in the original Constitution. It was inserted in the Constitution through the 7th Amendment Act.
• Article 156: As per this provision, the Governor is appointed by the President. Governor shall hold office for the term of 5 years from the date he enters upon his office. However, he/she holds office during the pleasure of the President.
When: 27 January 2017