The Public Affairs Centre (PAC), India on 12 May 2017 released the Public Affairs Index (PAI) 2017. Kerala and Tamil Nadu secured first and second rankings for the second consecutive year in the index.
Gujarat ranked third by gaining two positions from last years' index.
Highlights of Public Affairs Index 2017
• The PAI Rankings are based on the survey that was carried out based on 10 themes, 26 focus subjects and 82 indicators.
• These 10 themes were Essential infrastructure; Support to human development; Social protection; Women and children; Crime, law and order; Delivery of justice; Environment; Transparency and accountability; Fiscal management and Economic freedom.
• The top three positions of index were fetched by Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat respectively in the Large States category.
• Karnataka and Maharashtra stood at the fourth and fifth position respectively in governance indicators.
• In the Small States category, Himachal Pradesh ranked first followed by Goa and Mizoram at second and third positions respectively.
• Delhi, which occupied third position in 2016 index, slipped to ninth position in 2017 in Small States category.
• The last four positions among the large states were occupied by Bihar (18th), Jharkhand (17th), Odisha (16th) and Assam (15th).
• The last three positions among small states were occupied by Meghalaya (12th), Arunachal Pradesh (11th) and Jammu and Kashmir (10th).
• In Essential Infrastructure, Goa stood as the best performer among all States followed by Delhi, Punjab and Tamil Nadu.
• In Human Development, Kerala, Mizoram and Manipur are the best performers while Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Assam are the worst performers.
• In Social Protection Policies, Jammu and Kashmir, Tripura and Mizoram are the best performers.
• In Women and Children theme, Nagaland, Tripura and Kerala are adjudged as the best performers.
• In the category of Fiscal Management, Telangana is the best performer while Andhra Pradesh was labelled as the poor performer.
• In maintaining Law and Order, Nagaland was adjudged as the best performer.
• In the category of Economic Freedom, Gujarat secured top rank while Meghalaya secured the last rank.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.