PV Sindhu on 20 November 2016 won the 700000 US dollars China Open badminton tournament. This was the first Super Series Premier title for the Indian Olympic silver medallist and two-time bronze medallist at World Championship.
In the summit clash that lasted for an hour and nine minutes, Sindhu defeated Sun Yu of China 21-11, 17-21, 21-11. The final was played at Fuzhou, China.
With this win, she also became the third non-Chinese woman to win the title. The previous two winners were Malaysia’s Wong Mew Choo (2007) and India’s own Saina Nehwal (2014).
List of Winners
• Men’s Singles: Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark won the men’s singles title. In the final clash, he defeated Chen Long 22-20 21-13. This was first World Super Series title for Jorgensen in over 28 months.
• Women’s Singles: PV Sindhu of India won the women’s singles title. This was a first World Super Series title for Sindhu.
• Men's Doubles: Marcus Fernaldi Gideon (Indonesia) and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (Indonesia) won the men’s doubles title.
• Women's Doubles: Chang Ye-Na (South Korea) and Lee So-hee (South Korea) won the women’s doubles title of the super-series.
• Mixed Doubles: Tontowi Ahmad (Indonesia) and Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia) won the mixed title.
The China Open is badminton tournament that is annually held in China. In 2007, it became a part of the BWF Super Series tournaments in 2007.