The Railway Ministry on 22 April 2015 launched a mobile application named utsonmobile, for paperless unreserved tickets. This mobile application aims to eliminate the need for printing of unreserved tickets.
The application was launched as a pilot project in New Delhi by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu and will cover 15 stations between Egmore and Tambram suburban sections in Chennai of the Southern Railway.
Later, the service will be extended to in suburban section in all metros of the country in phases.
Feature of the application
• The application is developed by Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) and aims to eliminate the need for printing of unreserved ticket
• It allows the passenger to buy a ticket on the move
• It allows him to board the train with the ticket secured on his mobile phone, without any need for printing the ticket
• The application provides necessary on-screen alerts to guide the passenger during the booking process
• Payment for the ticket is done through the Railway Wallet feature in the App
• The passenger will have to use the ticket within an hour of booking of the ticket
• Every day, the ticket will have distinct colour scheme and it cannot be forwarded to another mobile
The application was launched in accordance to the budget proposal made by Suresh Prabhu in his Railway Budget 2015-16 presented on 26 February 2015. In the budget, he proposed to provide paperless tickets in unreserved segment.
Where: New Delhi
When: 22 April 2015