Rajnath Singh inaugurates Civil Services Day function
The Union Home Minister inaugurated a two-day programme to commemorate Civil Services Day. The event would honour ten districts with PM’s awards for Excellence in Public Administration.
The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) along with the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions is organising a two-day Civil Services Day programme from 20 April to 21 April 2017.
The function was inaugurated by Rajnath Singh, the Union Home Minister and will be presided over by Jitendra Singh, who holds the portfolio of the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) among many others.
The event would commemorate Civil Services Day, which is on 21 April 2017.
• The event would have an inaugural session followed a Plenary Session on the topic ‘Creating value through Human Capital Management in Government’, which would be led by the Jitendra Singh.
• The Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration would also be given away during the two-day function.
• The awards would be given to a total of 10 districts or organisations for innovation and effective implementation of five priority programmes.
• The five identified priority programmes are as follows:
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
- Start Up India/Stand Up India
- e-National Agriculture Market (e-NAM)
• Besides this, the awards would also consider innovative work done by government organisations in defined themes such as disaster management, water conservation environment conservation, education, energy, women and child centric initiatives and health.
• The awards will be conferred in three groups:
- First group will consist of eight North-Eastern States and the three northern Hill States of Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.
- Second group would include all the seven Union Territories.
- Third group would comprise the remaining 18 states.
• In addition to this, two awards will be given to government organisations under innovation category.
About Civil Services Day
• The Day is organized annually on 21 April.
• It is significant because on the occasion, all the civil servants re-dedicate themselves to the cause of the citizens and renew their commitment to public service.
• The Prime Minister of India also honours all officers of Central and state governments for excellence in public administration.
• The day coincides with the date on which Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel had first addressed the batch of probationers at the All India Administrative Service Training School at Metcalfe House, New Delhi in 1947.