Renowned pulmonologist Randeep Guleria on 24 March 2017 was the Director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
The appointment was made by the Appointment Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Dr Guleria has been appointed as Director, AIIMS, for five years.
Dr Guleria will succeed Dr M C Mishra, who retired in January 2017 after serving for over three years.
About Randeep Guleria
• Dr Guleria is the first Indian to get a Doctorate of Medicine in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.
• He has been working with AIIMS for the last 23 years.
• He had joined AIIMS in 1992 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine.
• He is credited with establishment of India’s first centre for pulmonary medicine and sleep disorder at AIIMS in 2011.
• From 1998 to 2004, he served as the personal physician to former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
• In 2015, he was conferred with the Padma Shri by the President of India.
About All India Institute of Medical Sciences
• The All India Institutes of Medical Sciences are a group of autonomous public medical colleges of higher education.
• These institutes have been declared as institutions of national importance by Act of Parliament.
• AIIMS New Delhi was established in 1956.
Who: Randeep Guleria
When: 24 March 2017
Government institutes Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar
WCD Ministry observes National Girl Child Day 2019; marks anniversary of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
World Integrated Medicine Forum held to advance global cooperation in Homoeopathy
ECI to host international conference on making elections inclusive and accessible