Reliance Jio Infocomm (RJIL) on 26 August 2014 signed a deal with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) for sharing around 4000 mobile towers.
Along with tower sharing deal, Reliance Jio signed Infrastructure sharing deal with Bharti Airtel, Viom Network, Ascend Telecom Infrastructure, Reliance Communications and American Tower Company to utilise their infrastructure.
The Reliance Jio Infocomm-BSNL Deal
• BSNL would offer a base rate of 38000 rupees per month for ground based towers (GBT) and 24900 rupees per month for rooftop based towers (RBT).
• If Reliance Jio commits leasing of at least 1500 towers in the first year, BSNL would offer discounted rates; the rent for ground towers will be 35000 rupees per month and 21000 rupees per month for rooftop towers.
• If RJIL commits leasing of at least 1,000 towers within three months, then there is a provision of 5 percent discount.
Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd. (RJIL)
• RJIL is the first telecom operator to get a unified licence for all 22 service areas in India. This licence allows RJIL to offer all telecom services, including voice telephony.
• It owns pan-India broadband wireless access spectrum that can be utilised for 4G services.
• RJIL won radiowaves in the 1800 Mhz band also known as 2G spectrum which is presently used for 4G services worldwide.
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
Incorporated on 15 September 2000, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited took over the business of providing of telecom services and network management from the Central Government Departments of Telecom Services (DTS) and Telecom Operations (DTO).
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited is the only telecom service provider that works to bridge the gap between rural-urban digital divide in IT sector.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
When: 26 August 2014