Renowned scientist Sivan K was on 10 January 2018 appointed as the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and also as Secretary in the Department of Space and chairman of Space Commission for a tenure of three years.
His appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. Sivan K will succeed A S Kiran Kumar, who was appointed on 12 January 2015.
About Sivan K
• At present, Sivan is serving as the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
• Sivan joined the ISRO in 1982 in Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) project and since then, he has contributed immensely towards end to end mission planning, mission design, mission integration and analysis.
• He is a fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering, Aeronautical Society of India and Systems Society of India.
• He completed his PhD in Aerospace engineering from IIT, Bombay in 2006.
• He did his graduation from Madras Institute of Technology in aeronautical engineering in 1980 and completed Master of Engineering in Aerospace engineering from IISc, Bangalore in 1982.
• He has numerous publications in various journals to his credit and has received numerous awards throughout his career including Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) from Sathyabama University, Chennai in April 2014 and Shri Hari Om Ashram Prerit Dr Vikram Sarabhai Research Award in 1999.
Playing national anthem in cinema halls not mandatory: Supreme Court
When: 10 January 2018