Rodrigo Duterte sworn in as Philippines’ president
Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as the Philippines' 16th president on 30 June 2016 inside the Malacanang presidential palace in Manila. He will have a six-year term.
The first Mindanaoan president of the country, Duterte succeeds Benigno Aquino III.
Firebrand leader Duterte’s anti-crime programme includes plans to reintroduce the death penalty, issuing shoot-to-kill orders to the security services and offering them bounties for the bodies of drug dealers. He has also called on people to kill suspected criminals.
About Rodrigo Duterte
• He was born in 1945 into a political family with a modest background.
• He has served the southern city of Davao, as its mayor for 22 years.
• He is also known as “Dirty Harry” and often compared to the US presidential candidate Donald Trump.
• He captured the public imagination after promising to improve security by killing 100000 suspected criminals.
• As the mayor of Davao he gained popularity across the archipelago, where crime rates dropped drastically under his leadership.
• He has also served as vice-mayor and as congressman for the city.
• He is a lawyer by profession is nicknamed as ‘Digong’, ‘The Punisher’.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App