Ruchi Ghanashyam appointed as Secretary (West) in MEA
She succeeds Sujata Mehta, who recently took over as a Member in Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Senior diplomat Ruchi Ghanashyam was on 28 February 2017 appointed as the Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). She succeeds Sujata Mehta, who recently took over as a Member in Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Her appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC).
As the Secretary (West), Ghanashyam will be responsible for looking after the country's diplomatic affairs with the United Kingdom and other European nations.
About Ruchi Ghanashyam
• Presently, she is serving as the High Commissioner of India to South Africa.
• Prior to this, she worked as the Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs where she was heading the Europe West Division.
• She served as the High Commissioner of India in Ghana with concurrent accreditation to Burkina Faso, Togo and Sierra Leone from March 2008 to October 2011.
• She served as the Minister in the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations in New York from May 2004 to March 2008.
• She served as the Director for Pakistan at headquarters in Delhi from August 2000 to March 2004.
• She joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1982 after obtaining a Masters in Psychology from the Bhopal University.