Rupak Kumar Dutta was on 31 January 2017 appointed as the Director General of Police (DGP) of Karnataka. Dutta succeeds Om Prakash, who retired from his service as Director General and Inspector General of Police on superannuation.
Prior to this appointment, Dutta was on a central posting as Special Secretary (Internal Security) in the Union Ministry of Home Affairs. Dutta will hold the post for a period of 9 months as he will superannuate in October 2017.
Dutta was in the race for this top post along with the other IPS officers including Neelamani Raju, M N Reddi and H C Kishore Chandra.
About Rupak Kumar Dutta
• Dutta also served as the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) of Karnataka Lokayukta Police.
• He had also spearheaded several investigations that unravelled widespread corruption involving senior ministers in the BJP government between 2008 and 2013.
• He also served multiple stints in the Central Bureau of Investigation including the posts of Special Director and Additional Director.
• Dutta was also considered for the post of Director, Central Bureau of Investigation recently.
• He is a 1981-batch IPS officer from the Karnataka cadre.