The Ministry of Rural Development gave away 144 awards under various categories to states and other organisations at an Award function on 19 June 2017.
The event mainly aimed to highlight the commendable work done by various states, Institutions and government functionaries under various schemes implemented by the Rural Development Ministry.
Awards on Sustainable Livelihood, Transparency and Accountability, Aadhaar Seeding, Conversion and Geo-MGNREGA were given under MGNREGA.
• While Bihar was awarded for constructing the highest number of rural roads, Madhya Pradesh was awarded for the use of non- conventional construction material in road construction under the 'Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana’ (PMGSY).
• The states of Haryana, Gujarat and Karnataka received a special prize for completing more than 95 per cent of their PMGSY targets.
• Other states to receive the award under different categories include Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Kerala, Chhatisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, Karnataka and West Bengal.
• Roorkee’s Central Building Research Institute and the NIC team of the Rural Development ministry were also awarded for providing technical vetting of housing typologies and for its technical support respectively, under 'Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin) PMAY-G'.
• Dr. Prabir Kumar Das, a senior citizen and Advisor, UNDP also received an award for his significant contribution in the use of innovative technologies.
• Nine district collectors also received the award for completing the largest number of PMAY-G houses. Five among them belong to Odisha.
Besides this, awards were also presented to National Resource Organizations, State Rural Livelihood Missions and various banks including Punjab National Bank, State Bank of India, Allahabad Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, UCO Bank, Central Bank of India and ICICI Bank under various categories.
Under skill development category the best performing States, best champion employers and best training partners, received the awards.
Speaking on the occasion, Union Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar highlighted the major transformation in the employment guarantee scheme MGNREGA under the Modi government and asserted that targets set under PMAY G and PMGSY have been set for 2019 and that the government was fully committed to provide financial support to the states to achieve these targets.