Sanjiv Puri appointed as Chief Operating Officer of ITC Ltd
With this appointment, Puri has emerged the front-runner to succeed ITC Chairman YC Deveshwar, who will step down as Executive Chairman of ITC in February 2017.
Sanjiv Puri was on 25 July 2016 appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of Kolkata-based ITC Ltd. with immediate effect. He will be responsible for running day-to-day operations of the company as COO, a position created for the first time at ITC.
With this appointment, Puri has emerged the front-runner to succeed ITC Chairman YC Deveshwar, who will step down as Executive Chairman of ITC in February 2017. He will continue as Non-Executive Chairman for at least three years thereafter.
About Sanjiv Puri
• A graduate of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, Puri joined ITC in 1986 and worked his way through several functions.
• His first major break came in 2001 when he was appointed the managing director of Surya Nepal, a subsidiary of ITC, which became one of the largest private companies in Nepal.
• He led ITC Infotech India Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary, as its Managing Director between May 2006 and August 2009.
• Puri became Divisional Chief Executive of the Tobacco Division of ITC in 2009, handling additionally the charge of ITC’s Trade Marketing and Distribution function.
• In 2014, Puri became the president of the company’s fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) business.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App