Sanjiv Puri was on 25 July 2016 appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of Kolkata-based ITC Ltd. with immediate effect. He will be responsible for running day-to-day operations of the company as COO, a position created for the first time at ITC.
With this appointment, Puri has emerged the front-runner to succeed ITC Chairman YC Deveshwar, who will step down as Executive Chairman of ITC in February 2017. He will continue as Non-Executive Chairman for at least three years thereafter.
About Sanjiv Puri
• A graduate of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, Puri joined ITC in 1986 and worked his way through several functions.
• His first major break came in 2001 when he was appointed the managing director of Surya Nepal, a subsidiary of ITC, which became one of the largest private companies in Nepal.
• He led ITC Infotech India Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary, as its Managing Director between May 2006 and August 2009.
• Puri became Divisional Chief Executive of the Tobacco Division of ITC in 2009, handling additionally the charge of ITC’s Trade Marketing and Distribution function.
• In 2014, Puri became the president of the company’s fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) business.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Sanjiv Puri
When: 25 July 2016