Sarojini Varadappan, the Renowned Social Worker Died at 92
Sarojini Varadappan, the renowned social worker died on 17 October 2013 in Chennai following a brief illness. She was 92 years old.
Sarojini Varadappan, the renowned social worker died on 17 October 2013 in Chennai following a brief illness. She was 92 years old. Sarojini Varadappan was a daughter of the former Tamil Nadu chief minister M Bhakthavatsalam.
Life History of Sarojini Varadappan
• Sarojini Varadappan was born in Chennai on 21 September 1921.
• She was involved in a range of social activities along with her mother Gnanasundarambal.
• She was the President of the Women India Association, an NGO working on women-related issues.
• She was also the President of the Mylapore Academy.
• At the age of 80 years, Sarojini Varadappan received PhD in Social Service and Swami Narayan Movement.
• She also remained a President of the Indian Red Cross Society for nearly 35 years.
• She received the Padma Shri in 1973 and Padma Bhushan in 2009.
• She also learnt music from Parur Sundaram Iyer. Apart from this, she learnt Kshetragna padams and Tamil padams from Mylapore Gowri Amma, Bharatiyar songs from E. Krishna Iyer and Hindi bhajans from Veena Visalakshi.
• She was awarded the Jankidevi Bajaj award for 2004 at Chennai.