The 2016 Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit concluded on 24 June 2016 in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
The 2-day meeting was conducted under the presidency of Uzbekistan.
Key highlights of the summit
• India and Pakistan signed the Memorandum of Obligations on 24 June 2016.
• The signing of Memorandum of Obligations by India and Pakistan started the formal process of joining the SCO as a full member. They are expected to become full members by the next meeting at Astana in 2017.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organization
• The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is a Eurasian political, economic and military organisation.
• It was founded in 2001 in Shanghai by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
• These countries, except for Uzbekistan had been members of the Shanghai Five, which was founded in 1996. After the inclusion of Uzbekistan in 2001, the members renamed the organisation as SCO.
• The 2015 Shanghai Cooperation Organization Summit was held in Ufa, Russia.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.