Shashi Shanker in September 2017 was appointed the Chairman and Managing Director of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC).The appointment is effective till March 2021.
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) named Shanker as CMD till his superannuation as against an initial one-year term proposed by the Oil Ministry.
Shanker is currently serving as the Director (Technical and Field Services) at ONGC. He will take charge from 1 October 2017 when the incumbent Dinesh K Sarraf retires and will have a three-and- a-half-year term until 31 March 2021.
About Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
• The Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited is an Indian multinational oil and gas company.
• It is headquartered in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
• It is a Public Sector Undertaking of the Government of India.
• The company was founded on 14 August 1956 by Government of India.
• It is involved in exploring for and exploiting hydrocarbons in 26 sedimentary basins of India, and owns and operates over 11000 kilometers of pipelines in the country.
• The company comes under the administrative control of the Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
• It is India's largest oil and gas exploration and production company.
• It produces around 77 per cent of India's crude oil and around 62 per cent of its natural gas.
Who: Shashi Shanker
When: September 2017