Pramukh Swami Maharaj, head of Bochasanwasi Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) of Swaminarayan sect, passed away on 13 August 2016 at Sarangpur, Gujarat. He was 95.
About Pramukh Swami Maharaj
• Pramukh Swami Maharaj was an Indian spiritual guru.
• BAPS regards him as the fifth spiritual successor of Swaminarayan, following Gunatitanand Swami, Bhagatji Maharaj, Shastriji Maharaj and Yogiji Maharaj.
• He was believed by his followers to be in constant communion with Swaminarayan.
• Pramukh Swami Maharaj received initiation as a Hindu Swami in 1940 from Shastriji Maharaj, the founder of BAPS.
• He built more than 1100 Hindu temples, including the Swaminarayan Akshardham temples in New Delhi and Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
• He had also spearheaded the efforts of BAPS Charities, which is the charitable service organization affiliated with BAPS.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 13 August 2016