Subramanian Swamy on 11 September 2016 was honoured with ‘Tamil Ratna’ by America Tamil Sangam. The America Tamil Sangam is a body of Tamil diaspora based in US.
The senior BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP was presented with the award in New York for his fight against corruption and work for bringing more transparency in the functioning of the government.
Previous Tamil Ratna awardees include Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman, movie director Bharathi Raja, Bharatha Natyam exponent Kamala Lakshman and Srinivasa Varadhan, the winner of the Abel Prize for mathematics among others.
• He is an Indian politician and economist who serves as a member of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament.
• He has served as a member of the Planning Commission of India and was a Cabinet Minister in the Chandra Shekhar government.
• Earlier in November 1978, he was member of the Group of Eminent persons and was called to Geneva, Switzerland to prepare a report of the United Nations (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)) on Economic Co-operation between Developing countries (ECDC).
• He also simplified trade procedures and formulated a new export strategy which became the forerunner of trade reform adopted subsequently.
• In 1994, he was appointed as Chairman of the Commission on Labour Standards and International Trade by former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao.
• He has written on foreign affairs of India dealing largely with People's Republic of China (PRC), Pakistan and Israel.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Subramanian Swamy
Where: New York
When: 11 September 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.