Supreme Court of UK hears Government’s appeal over Brexit issue

Dec 6, 2016 16:18 IST

The Supreme Court in the UK has begun the much-awaited hearing that will decide whether or not Parliament’s consent is required before the government initiates the Brexit negotiations.

In a first, the hearing was attended by all 11 Supreme Court justices. It follows an appeal by the British Government after a bench comprising three senior judges of the High Court passed a ruling in November stating that the Theresa May government must seek approval from the parliament before starting the EU exit procedures.

CA eBook

The government has a lot of hopes riding on the current hearing, as May had promised that efforts towards Brexit would commence by the end of March 2017 but if they have to gain consent from the parliament, which was largely against the referendum then chances of the process getting delayed are high.

Key Facts about Brexit

  • Brexit is an acronym for UK opting to exit the European Union (EU).
  • The decision was made following a referendum in June 2016, when almost 52% votes were cast in favour of Britain leaving the EU while only 48% voted to remain.
  • Immediately after the shocking result, Prime Minister David Cameron who was against Brexit resigned from his post and Theresa May took over.
  • In order to formally leave the European Union, UK has to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, according to which both sides will be given two years to decide the terms of the split.  
  • Brexit has had a deep effect on UK’s economy and also on its currency- Pound, which has hit a 30-year low.

 

UK joined the European Economic Community (EEC), the predecessor of European Union in 1973 and became its full-time member in 1975, following a referendum that saw 67% votes cast in favour of the move.

UK’s choice to leave the European Union had created ripples of shock all over the world, with many eminent personalities condemning the move. In fact, US President Barack Obama also spoke against Brexit and urged Britons to vote to remain during his three-day visit to the nation right before the referendum.

 

Is this article important for exams ? Yes9 People Agreed
Read more Current Affairs on: Brexit , United Kingdom , Supreme Court , European Union

Latest Videos

Register to get FREE updates

    All Fields Mandatory
  • (Ex:9123456789)
  • Please Select Your Interest
  • Please specify

  • ajax-loader
  • A verifcation code has been sent to
    your mobile number

    Please enter the verification code below

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK