Nepal’s Parliamentary Hearing Special Committee (PHSC) on 10 July 2016 unanimously endorsed Sushila Karki as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
With this, Karki has become the first woman to lead Nepal’s judiciary. She will be appointed to the post by President Bidhya Devi Bhandari.
About Sushila Karki
• Sushila Karki obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree from the Mahendra Morang Campus, Biratnagar in 1972.
• In 1975, she completed her Masters Degree in Political Science from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
• She received her Bachelor’s degree in Law from Tribhuvan University in Nepal in 1978.
• She worked as an assistant teacher in Mahendra Multiple Campus, Dharan in 1985.
• She jumped into legal profession in 1979.
• She was appointed the Ad-Hoc Justice at the Supreme Court on 22 January 2009.
• She was promoted to the Permanent Justice on 18 November 2010.
• The Judicial Council on 10 April 2016 had recommended her for the top judicial post. However, her appointment was pending owing to delay in formation of the PHSC.
• She has been taking charge of the Supreme Court as the Acting Chief Justice since her predecessor Kalyan Shrestha retired on 14 April 2016.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Sushila Karki
When: 10 July 2016