Swami Smarananandaji Maharaj elected as President of Ramakrishna Math
Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission are twin organizations which form the core of a worldwide spiritual movement Ramakrishna Movement or Vedanta Movement.
Swami Smarananandaji Maharaj was on 17 July 2017 elected as the 16th President of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission.
The office of the President fell vacant following the death of Swami Atmasthanandaji Maharaj on 18 June 2017.
About Swami Smarananandaji Maharaj
• Swami Smarananandaji Maharaj was born at village Andami in Tanjavur district of Tamil Nadu in 1929.
• He was appointed as a Trustee of the Ramakrishna Math and member of the Governing Body of the Ramakrishna Mission in 1983.
• In April 1995, he joined the headquarters of Ramakrishna Math as an Assistant Secretary, and later in 1997, he took charge as the General Secretary of the twin organisations.
• As a General Secretary, he steered the Ramakrishna Movement worldwide for 10 years until May 2007, when he was elected as the Vice President of the Order.
About Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission
• Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission are twin organizations which form the core of a worldwide spiritual movement Ramakrishna Movement or Vedanta Movement.
• Ramakrishna Math is a monastic organization for men brought into existence by Ramakrishna, the great 19th century saint of Bengal who is regarded as the Prophet of the Modern Age.
• Ramakrishna Mission is a registered society in which monks of Ramakrishna Math and devotees cooperate in conducting various types of social service mainly in India.
• With headquarters in Belur Math, the Math and the Mission together have more than 180 branch centres all over India and in different parts of the world.
• The Math and the Mission have five vice-presidents who form a part of 20-member governing body and board of trustees.