Tata Coffee, the largest plantation company of Asia on 19 June 2013 inaugurated the premium extraction plant at Theni near Madurai in Tamil Nadu. This plant is opened for the processing of coffee beans into freeze dried powder, which in turn can be used for export purpose to the international markets.
Important points related to the extraction plant
• The extraction plant is established at a cost of 80 crore Rupees.
• The plant has an installed capacity of 2000 tonnes per annum.
• This is a hi-tech plant which is inaugurated with a purpose of producing freeze dried; spray dried and agglomerated instant coffee, while at the same time keeping its aroma intact.
• The freeze dried coffee has an advantage of retaining the aroma in a better way, while at the same time giving rich colour, flavour as well as appearance to this beverage.
• This extraction plant is situated at the instant coffee manufacturing facility of Tata, which is around 170 km away from Tuticorin port in the southern part of the state. The instant coffee facility of Tata is the 100 percent export-oriented unit which has the installed capacity of 4000 tonnes per annum.
It is important to note that the Theni plant had become top most exporter of the soluble coffee to Russia as well as CIS countries in the 2012-13 fiscal year.
About Tata Coffee
• Tata Coffee is the subsidiary of Tata Global Beverages Ltd.
• It produces a total of 10000 tonnes of shade grown Arabica and Robusta beans in 19 estates all over South India.
• Also, it exports green coffee to Gulf countries, Asia, Europe and North America regions.
• It is the largest integrated coffee plantation company of the world.