Tezpur University and JNU won the annual Visitor’s Awards for Central Universities
The awards were instituted with an aim of promoting healthy competition amongst Central Universities and motivating them to adopt best practices from across the world.
Tezpur University on 10 March 2016 won the annual Visitor’s Award for the Best University. Rakesh Bhatnagar and the Molecular Parasitology Group of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) have also won the Visitor’s Awards for Research and Innovation respectively.
President Pranab Mukherjee will present Visitor’s Awards for 2016 to the winners at a function to be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 14 March 2016, as part of the Festival of Innovations.
The Visitor’s Award for Innovation will be given to Professor Rakesh Bhatnagar of Jawaharlal Nehru University for development of a genetically engineered vaccine and a therapeutic antibody against anthrax.
The Visitor’s Award for Research will be presented to the Molecular Parasitology Group of Jawaharlal Nehru University of pioneering work in the area of molecular parasitology, especially anti-malaria, leishmaniasis and amoebiasis.
The Best University will receive a Citation and Trophy while winners of Visitor’s Award for Innovation and Research will receive a citation and cash award of one lakh rupees.
About Visitor’s Award
• The institution of Visitor’s Awards for Central Universities was announced by President Pranab Mukherjee at the Vice Chancellors’ Conference 2014.
• The awards were instituted with an aim of promoting healthy competition amongst Central Universities and motivating them to adopt best practices from across the world.
About Festival of Innovations
• A week-long Festival of Innovations will be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan from 12 March to 19 March 2016.
• It will commence with the inauguration of an exhibition of grassroot innovations on 12 March 2016 by President Pranab Mukherjee.
• The Festival will witness a number of exhibitions, roundtable discussions on different topics related to innovations, group discussions, an award for Gandhian Young Technological Innovation, a meeting of Innovation Clubs set up in institutions of higher education, a workshop for children and a hackathon and more.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App