Acclaimed Kannada movie Thithi on 6 September 2016 won the Best Film Award at the first BRICS Film Festival, which concluded in New Delhi.
The BRICS Film Festival was organized as a part of the special events planned in run-up to the BRICS summit to be held in India.
The five-day-long festival screened movies from India, Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa.
China's Chengdu city will host the next edition of the BRICS Film Festival.
• Thithi is a 2016 Kannada-language drama film co-written and directed by Raam Reddy.
• The movie consists of a cast of non-professional actors from villages in the Mandya district of Karnataka.
• The film is a light-hearted story about three generations of men reacting to the death of their 101-year old patriarch.
• The film premiered at the 68th Locarno International Film Festival on 8 August 2015, where it won the Golden Leopard in the Filmmakers of the Present category for Reddy as well as the Swatch First Feature award.
• At the 63rd National Film Awards, the film won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Kannada.
Other awards at the festival
• Filmmaker Jianqi Huo from China won the Best Director Award for the movie Xuan Zang.
• Russia's Yulia Peresild received the Best Actress Award for The Battle for Sevastopol.
• Thabo Rametsi of South Africa clinched the Best Actor Award for his role in Kalushi, The story of Solomon Mahlangu.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App